The Woman’s Club of Coconut Grove’s Environment committee leads environmental efforts to benefit the community and our planet. Its missions is to create a greater awareness and wiser use of our natural resources.
- Monthly coastal clean-ups with VolunteerCleanup.org and the Coconut Grove Sailing Club.
- Electronic recycling program in partnership with the City of Miami and the Coconut Grove Chamber of Commerce.
- Beautification/Backyard Habitat team designed a garden with native on the grounds of historic Woman's Club to attract hummingbirds and butterflies. Planted several bushes in honor of Florida’s Arbor Day.
- Raising awareness through field trips to ecologically important sites, including tropical gardens and wetlands.
- Hosting guest speakers to talk about environmentally friendly projects in the community such as the Miami Underline.
- During the pandemic and before face masks became readily available, a sewing circle made over 1650 eco-friendly, reusable cotton face masks and donated them to all who asked.
The Plastics-Free Initiative (PFI) Coalition is uniting businesses, organizations, and all concerned Floridians in order to minimize or possibly stop the amount of plastics collecting on our shores. This Coalition costs nothing to join. It is a truly community effort. As we are growing in numbers, any donation to help defray expenses, or any talents and volunteering YOU can do, will be most appreciated. We are in this together!
To sign up to join the Coalition or volunteer with the Plastics Free Initiative, please visit PlasticsFreeInitiative.org
. To donate, select the Donations icon, below, and on the next screen, select Conservation – PFI