Under the direction of Billie Jean Baldwin and Mary Ann Gibbs, 15 ladies, all members of The Woman’s Club of Coconut Grove plus outside volunteers of the Sewist Circle, have been making and distributing eco-friendly reusable face masks to the community at no charge. At least, 1850 masks have been delivered to family, friends and nonprofit organizations that serve Coconut Grove and the surrounding communities.
- Friends and Family Club members
- Easter Seals after school program and OceanVida
- Foundation’s Mindful Art Education in Little Haiti
- Grove Watch
- Food Pantry volunteers in West Grove
- Jackson Hospital medical personnel
- Thelma Gibson Health Initiative
- The Veteran’s Hospital
One of our newest WCCG members, Amanda Megyesi, her friend Edina Huskic, together with Karen Cunningham (WCCG member), her husband Glenn Cunningham and Ryan Burtner, are helping farms in South Florida that are struggling due to the Covid-19 crisis. These creative young Ladies decided to sell discounted produce to over 80 friends and neighbors, to raise money to donate to shelters, food banks, and the hungry.
Amanda and Edina work with a group called Social Girls in Miami, where Amanda is the Volunteer Director and Edina is the Vice President. Their quest is to help feed as many people as possible during these dire times.
In just a few weeks and due to generous donations from friends and families, they have been able to accomplish the following:
- April 4th: they took 10 boxes (hundreds of pounds) of fresh produce to Miami Rescue Mission.
- April 11th: 19 boxes (hundreds of pounds) of fresh produce was given to Curley’s House of Style Inc – Hope Relief Food Bank
- April 11th: 3 boxes (about 95 pounds) of fresh produce given to St. James Baptist Church in Coconut Grove in coordination with Sherrill Martin
- April 16th: 126 bagged lunches were passed out to the hungry all over Coconut Grove and Curley’s House of Style Inc – Hope Relief Food Bank
- April 25th: 4 boxes (about 110 pounds) of fresh produce given out on the corner of South Douglas Rd and Florida Ave in Coconut Grove.
- April 30th 200 bagged meals were given to Overtown Community Center and Dress to Impress, to be passed out in Overtown, in coordination with Nicole Crooks and Olivier De Lavalette.
- April 30th: 30 bagged children’s meals and 71 adult bagged lunches were given to St. James Baptist Church in Coconut Grove in coordination with Sherrill Martin
- April 30th: 96 bagged lunches passed out at José Martí underpass near Northwest Brickell and Liberty City and the West Grove.